Elizabeth Shepherd’s new album The Signal is not even out yet but the advance buzz is strong. Over the last few weeks, airplay has been picking up across North America and, more recently, the record has been hitting the air waves in Japan, Australia, and Europe.
Among the rave reviews that have come in so far the perhaps most articulate was penned by Vic Aaron, writing for US-based tastemaker Something Else:
“The Signal is bold, personal and completely lucid audio art from Elizabeth Shepherd. It wouldn’t be overstating it at all to assert that this is the most important vocal jazz record that will be released all year. Just don’t expect jazz — or anything else — in the strictest sense from an album that only adheres to Shepherd’s mysterious and multi-faceted muse.”
Our thoughts exactly.
Here is more praise for The Signal:
- “The most important vocal jazz record to be released all year.” Something Else (US)
- “A soul-groove masterpiece”….”one of the big releases of 2014.” Radio Cologne (Germany)
- “One of the best jazz albums of the year” ICI Radio Canada
- “Elizabeth Shepherd has delivered the best album of her career” La Presse
- “It’s the album that confirms it all: the talent, the originality, the singularity.” Le Devoir
- “The Signal is an excellent return for Shepherd; it’s hip, bracing, sophisticated, and accessible.” All Music (US)
- “A Björk-meets-Steve Coleman-meets-Joni Mitchell sort of record that will further enhance the Canadian’s reputation.” The Irish Times
- “Elizabeth Shepherd’s strongest album to date” Metro Morning, CBC Radio One
- “A listener with ears cocked toward smart, jazz-inflected pop will probably want to rewind for another dose of aural candy.” Ottawa Citizen
- “Combining soul, funk, old-school hip-hop and jazz, of course, Shepherd delivers an album that should pique everyone’s interest.” EXCLAIM!
- “Seductively draws you into its world and delivers music for both the mind and body.” All About Jazz (US)
- “A confident, if introspective, album by an artist in total control of her sound and message, making categorization beside the point.” Burning Ambulance (US)
- “The lyrical content is just as sharp as the compositions and arrangements” Revive Music (US)
- “‘The Signal’ by Elizabeth Shepherd is stunning.” Ride the Tempo
- “First-rate recording” … “Shepherd’s funkiest release to date” Critics at Large
- “A great album” rbb Radio Eins (Germany)